Cardiff dating

Fragments of green glazed jugs and flagons from the late 12th to 13th century and shards of pottery from the 14th century were also found on the island.

The presence of Pennant sandstone roofing tiles and a fragment of a 14th-century glazed ridge tile indicate the existence of a substantial medieval building, possibly a chapel, demolished when the present farmhouse was constructed.

There are two handsets in the main farmhouse that are part of the councils own PBX thus having Cardiff dialling codes.A sanatorium for cholera patients was built in 1896 as the isolation hospital for the port of Cardiff.Guglielmo Marconi transmitted the first wireless signals over open sea from Flat Holm to Lavernock.Property records from 1542 show that King Henry VIII granted a lease to farm the island to a gentleman by the name of Edmund Tournor.His family remained on Flat Holm until the end of the 17th century when the lease passed to Joseph Robins.